Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Safe Place To Step


All of my life I have been an 'internal loner'. 



I don't know exactly when it happened and to be honest it just recently occurred to me that is what I had become.  I don't think you will find the term internal loner in to many psychology books, but hey I'm not above creating my own language.

Here's Julie's definition of an internal loner - one who mistakenly believes that life is safer journeyed in a solitary fashion.  With no need for assistance or friendship.  In other words, proceed to "enjoy life" (insert sarcasm) with the utmost precaution and on my terms.

Which is hilarious, because God in all of his sweetness and patience has finally gotten through to me that in life and in friendship:

1) I've been missing out on so many things that I had lied to myself about.  Playing it safe, staying in my comfort zone, not getting outside my pond.

  • "Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”  Deut. 31:6-8 ESV

2) If people knew the real you they would never like or accept you.  Once I began truly believing that I am a child of the Lord Most High, one who is blessed & highly favored a great weight began to be lifted off my shoulders. I began to hold my head higher and dare to look people in the eye.  
  • "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him"  Psalm 34:8 NIV

3) Life isn't ever going to change.  To quote Jack Nicholson's Melvin Udall character, "What if this is as good as it gets?"  This may be as good as it gets, but I am highly doubtful this is true.  Life may not change but the choices I make can change.  Praise God he has planned it that way.
  • "What is happening now has happened before, and what will happen in the future has happened before, because God makes the same things happen over and over again."  Ecclesiastes 3:15


So what about you sweet one?  Yes you...the one always plays it safe.  Will you step out of your pond and dare to join me?

1 comment:

  1. Girlfriend....I am right there with you! I am always being nudged to do things but stay in my comfort zone and play it safe, so I will step out of the pond with you!! ♡♡

    ReplyDelete