Thursday, January 24, 2013

Can You Hear Me Now.......

A few years ago, my daughter and I were driving home after a long day.  You know the kind I'm talking about, endless errands and appointment's.  My 14 year-old daughter was chattering a hundred miles an hour, telling me all about her friends, challenges at school and other events of her day.  All of a sudden she stopped chattering.  She turned to me and said, "Mom, you wouldn't make a very good counselor."

OUCH!!!

She was right of course, I wasn't conversing with her, heck I wasn't even listening to her.  My mind was wandering, going through my to-do list:  Had I forgotten something at the store?  What were we having for dinner?  Had I paid for ...... I think you get where I'm coming from.

BUSTED!!!!

The Lord surely did use my daughter to convict me on so many levels:
  • Why wasn't I truly listening to my daughter, engaging with her?  How many other family & friends had I ignored my preoccupied state?
  • My poor husband, how did he continue to put up with me being inattentive and unavailable to him and our marriage?
  • How had I let myself get to this place?  Where the world and it's demands became chief occupants in my head and ultimately my heart.
Fast forward.....it happened again, today.  Only this time I wasn't the one doling it out, I was the recipient.

Crushing :(


God is trying to get my attention on this matter......again

1)  "Listening" is not the same as "hearing".  Hearing means that my ears work, listening means that my mind is engaged.  I must truly listen to what someone is saying, not just hear them talk.

2)  Truly be available.  Good: Put down my phone, I-pad, Kindle, laptop.  Better: put them on silent-mode. Turn the television off.  Best:  So I won't be tempted or distracted to check it, don't even bring it with me.

3)  When someone is speaking to me I need to be fully engaged in that conversation only.  I can't be distracted by what's going on with other people's conversations.  Become engaged with eye-contact.  Continually looking over the person who is talking to me's shoulder is a giveaway that I'm not fully engaged.

4)  Listen with the only one intent, TO LISTEN.  I confess, this is one I really struggle with.  Am I only listening with the intent of speaking correction or direction.  Especially if I am the one who engaged you in the conversation in the first place.  The least I can do is let you finish your sentence and respectfully respond to what you have just shared.  You've heard the saying; "Listening to hear, not listening to speak."

"Spouting off before listening to the facts is both shameful and foolish."
Proverbs 18:13



No comments:

Post a Comment