Saturday, January 12, 2013

Silhouette


I can vividly remember back in the first grade, our whole class had their silhouette's drawn by the art teacher.  Nothing fancy, just a side silhouette traced on white construction paper that was then glued onto black construction paper.  All of our silhouette's were to be displayed in the hallway during parent night.  I can also vividly remember that I was mortified how my silhouette turned out.  Was my nose really that pointy (almost Bewitched like)?  My lips seemed non-existent and my hair, what was going on with my hair????  It seemed as though every cowlick on my head decided to make an appearance in that drawing.  

And so began my journey.

Looking back, those thoughts that were being embedded in my little first-grade mind, I began to believe I looked exactly like those unflattering caricature's people have drawn of themselves.


Johann Wolfgang von Goethe says it this way, "The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone."


I know I'm not alone when I wrestle with myself-critical thoughts, the lies this confused world would have me ask myself:

What is beauty?
Does it truly lie in the eyes of the beholder?
And why, oh why, do I struggle in seeing it myself?


I'm taking 2 Corinthians 4:16 and making it my own, "So we (I) do not (cannot) lose heart.  Though our (my) outer self is wasting away, our (my) inner self is being renewed each day." 

And that my sweet friends is a glorious place for this girl to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment